American Roulette stems from the original French casino game Roulette, which originally debuted back in the 17th
century, and closely resembles the games that millions of players around the world test their luck at every year.
Having occurred in its modern form sometime around the year 1800, Roulette quickly caught on for the excitement that comes from when the ball spins around and drops into a random slot on the wheel. American Roulette started in the deep south, beginning as French Roulette in New Orleans before eventually moving north to other states and territories.
Many hustlers were able to cheat the system back in those days, resulting in a different placement of the Wheel in the casino as well as an extra green Double Zero slot that can be used for betting. This system actually resulted in more wins for the casino, as there was another number to bet on.
Players wishing to play American Roulette will do so by taking note of the table. Here you will find the various bets you can place. These bets include:
- Single Number
- Split Number (Half of your bet on one number, half on another)
- Street (Numbers on a horizontal line)
- Corner (Betting on four numbers located together on the table)
- Six Line (Betting on two adjacent Streets)
- Basket (Betting on 0 or 00, 1, 2 or 0 or 00, 2, 3)
- Top Line (Betting on 0, 00, 1, 2, and 3)
Any of the above bets are called an Inside Bet. Conversely, there are a series of Outside Bets that can be placed. These wagers include:
- 1-18 (Betting that any one of the numbers 1-18 are hit)
- 19-36 (Betting that any one of the numbers 19-36 are hit)
- Red or Black (Betting whether the color Red or Black will be hit in the spin)
- Even or Odd (Betting whether the ball lands on an Even or Odd Number)
- Dozen Bets (Betting whether the ball lands on the first, second, or third dozen of numbers)
- Column Bets (Betting on any of the three columns in the game)
- Snake Bet (Betting on the following numbers to hit 1, 5, 9, 12, 14, 16, 19, 23, 27, 30, 32, and 34.
After selecting which bets you want to place, you put your chips down, which will then be replaced with a marker of some sort. The Dealer then spins the Wheel and drops the Ball. The Wheel will spin for a while before the Ball eventually drops down and into a number. If the ball is in a number that you wagered on, you win!